Mailing Lijst CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org Bericht #113322
From: Clifford Lynch <cliff@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: Interim Report on UK Research Data Service Feasibility Study Available
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 08:15:01 -0400
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
Interim Report on UK Research Data Service Feasibility Stu
Neil Beagrie has shared a pointer to the newly-released interim report on the feasibility study that the UK has commissioned for a research data service. This includes a good deal of material surveying the current state of the art in the UK and beyond, and has obvious relevance as we think about programs like DataNet in the United States. I've taken the liberty of reproducing Neil's posting to the Digital Preservation list in full below. The report is at:

----------------------------

(Neil Beagrie's full post)

Members of the list may be aware of  the consultancy lead by Serco Consulting over the last six months on a UK Research Data Service feasibility study for the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE).

The interim report of the study has  just been released and is available from http://www.ukrds.ac.uk/UKRDS%20SC%2010%20July%2008%20Item%205%20(2).doc .

The report analyses the current situation in the UK with a detailed review of relevant literature, funders' policies, and data drawn from four major case study universities (Bristol, Leeds, Leicester, and Oxford). It describes the emerging trends of local data repositories and national facilities in the UK and also looks internationally at Australia, the US and the EU. Finally it presents possible ways forward for UKRDS. Preliminary findings from a UKRDS survey of over 700 UK researchers are presented in an Appendix. The study has now moved into its second phase building on the interim report and developing the business case.

Luis Martinez-Uribe, Digital Repositories Research Co-ordinator at Oxford University has written on the interim report in his blog  "I highly recommend everyone with an interest in research data management to have a look at this report as not only it captures the current state of affairs in the UK and elsewhere but also offers possible ways forward." See http://oxdrrc.blogspot.com/2008/09/ukrds-interim-report.html .

Neil Beagrie
Charles Beagrie Ltd
Digital Access and Preservation
Management and Research Consultancy
Blog: www.blog.beagrie.com

Inschrijven (FEED) Inschrijven (DIGEST) Inschrijven (INDEX) Uitschrijven Mailen naar Listmaster