From: Clifford Lynch <cliff@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: 2009 Horizon Report on Emerging Technologies
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 16:25:00 -0500
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
The New Media Consortium (NMC) released the 2009 edition of the Horizon Report on Emerging Technologies at the EDUCAUSE ELI conference this week. This  annual joint project of NMC and EDUCAUSE uses a complex and collaborative process that casts a wide net to try to identify new technologies that will change higher education in the coming years. you can download this from

http://horizon.nmc.org

I've also reproduced the NMC press release below, with gives more details and background.
(Disclosure: I have been on the advisory board of this project, and also serve on the NMC Board and the ELI advisory board.)

---------------------------------

Dear NMC members and friends,

We are pleased to announce the release of the 2009 Horizon Report, the sixth in the NMC's series of annual reports on key emerging technologies that are likely to impact teaching, learning, research or creative expression in higher education. This email comes to you immediately following the report's official release at the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative (ELI) Annual Meeting in Orlando, Florida. The 2009 Horizon Report is a collaboration between the New Media Consortium and ELI.

Please feel free to distribute the attached pdf version to colleagues and others who may find it of interest.  The report has been released under a Creative Commons license to facilitate its broad dissemination, so you may also print and distribute as many copies as you wish free of charge, as long as you distribute the entirety of the report.

All links listed in the report are clickable in this pdf version. The report itself is only 368 kb, so it should be easy to email.   It is also accessible via download from our website at http://horizon.nmc.org

We hope you will help us extend our dialogs on the six topics featured in the Horizon Report across the NMC membership and continue them over the coming weeks. To that end, there are several ways you can add your thoughts, comments, and examples:

1. The Advisory Board's work throughout the process of developing the report is recorded on the Horizon Wiki, where you can also add your own thoughts. The wiki is at http://horizon.nmc.org/wiki/
2. A CommentPress version of the report has been placed on the NMC website, where you can add comments and examples to any paragraph, page, or section of the report: http://wp.nmc.org/horizon2009/
3. Each topic in the report concludes with a list of examples and readings. If you know of projects, papers, articles, or other resources that apply to any of the six topics, please tag them in Delicious with the tags listed in the report.

I hope you are as pleased with this year's effort as we are.  Many thanks are due our Advisory Board for their many contributions to the effort, and to the content and substance of this report.  A complete list of the Advisory Board members is provided on the last page of the report.

On behalf of the Horizon Advisory Board, I hope you find the 2009 Horizon Report a useful resource.

Rachel S. Smith
Vice President, NMC Services
The New Media Consortium

tel 512 445 4200  |  fax 512 445 4205  |  rachel@nmc.org  |  www.nmc.org