From: Joan K. Lippincott <joan@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: PKAL Learning Spaces Collaboratory launches website
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:45:05 -0500
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
I'm posting below a message from Jeanne Narum, the Principal of the PKAL Learning Spaces Collaboratory.  This program has just launched its website and there is lots of information available for those of you planning learning spaces - resources (papers, presentations) as well as descriptions of upcoming events.  I am pleased that CNI is a collaborating partner, and I serve on the Advisory Committee of the initiative.
--Joan Lippincott
-------------------------------
Welcome to the home of the new PKAL Learning Spaces Collaboratory (PKAL LSC): http://www.pkallsc.org/

This Collaboratory embraces the broad community of those responsible for the quality and character of the physical learning environment— academics and architects, as well as a wide range of other stakeholders.

The Collaboratory, which evolved from Project Kaleidoscope’s previous facilities planning efforts, is distinct from present and future PKAL efforts (now in partnership with AAC&U) to ensure all undergraduates in America's colleges and universities become engaged learners in STEM fields, and well-prepared for life and work in the 21st century.

Collaborating partners include The Coalition for Networked Information (CNI); National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance (NCIIA); National Council for Science and the Environment (NCSE); Second Nature; Society for College and University Planning (SCUP); U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC); as well as PKAL and AAC&U.

During 2011, the primary focus of Collaboratory initiatives will be on the process of planning learning spaces. This is because we are convinced that there is a strong link between both the quality of learning and the character of learning spaces and that campuses must give attention to this link at all stages in deciding about maintaining, renovating, and/or constructing 21st century learning spaces— be they libraries, classrooms, or science facilities.

Please note the schedule for upcoming regional workshops: http://www.pkallsc.org/what_we_do/meetings. We invite your special attention to the LSC March 19 regional workshop at Dickinson College (PA) (http://www.pkallsc.org/events/91) and the PKAL Engaged STEM Learning conference in Miami (http://www.aacu.org/meetings/stem/index.cfm).

Weekly LSC postings will explore various dimensions of the planning process— from audits to assessments. The LSC will always be a work-in-progress, thus:

·         Your voice is needed and a process has been designed for your questions and responses.
·         Your suggestions are welcome for resources— existing or missing research—on learning and learning spaces.
·         Your candidates for stories from the field (renovations of individual spaces, major new facilities, or outdoor green spaces) are also sought.

Contact information:
1730 Rhode Island Avenue NW, Suite 409, Washington DC
202-232-1300