From: Clifford Lynch <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: NSF Report on Future Research in the Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 12:00:00 -0500
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
Last fall, I shared with the CNI-announce community a call for short papers issued by the Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences Directorate of the US National Science Foundation as part of an unusual  effort to identify new research opportunities in the ten to twenty year time horizon so that they could be factored into NSF's programs. Clearly, data and computationally intensive research methods are an important part of this environment, as are social media and the new collections of evidence created by extensive use of digital technology in society.

The submitted papers became available some time ago, and we did a breakout on this at the CNI member meeting last Fall. NSF has now produced a final synthesizing report on the project, titled "Rebuilding the Mosaic" which is available for downloading, and set up a page that integrates all the material. This can be found at:

http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/sbe_2020/index.cfm

There is also a press release with pointers to some related video materials at

http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=122464&WT.mc_id=USNSF_51&WT.mc_ev=click