From: Clifford Lynch <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: I'm talking at the National LIbrary of Medicine, Dec 16, 2011
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 17:10:00 -0500
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
I'm talking at the National LIbrary of Medicine, Dec 16, 2
Apologies for the late information, but I'll be speaking Friday, December 16, at the National Library of Medicine at 10AM. The talk announcement is below. My understanding is that the video (see link below) will be available both real-time and for later replay.

Clifford Lynch
DIrector, CNI

-----------------------------------

As the National Library of Medicine's 175th anniversary draws to a close, we invite you to hear an interesting perspective on the future.

Biomedical Libraries in the Next Decades: Open, Diffuse, and Very Personal
Clifford Lynch, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Coalition for Networked Information
National Library of Medicine
Lister Hill Auditorium, Building 38A
December 16, 2011
10:00-11:30 am

Link for videocast

Abstract: This talk will look at some of the forces that are reshaping both biomedical informatics and biomedical libraries, and the complex convergence occurring between the two on intellectual and institutional levels as scientific data, traditional publications, and even business and regulatory records are linked together and become the subject of large scale computation. I will also examine radical changes building up in the scholarly publishing system that serves this discipline as a result of these developments. Finally, I'll briefly discuss ways in which the current unstable consensus about privacy, the advancement of science, database creation and data reuse might shift in the context of broader social developments in health care and citizen science and what that might mean for the knowledge base that supports biomedicine.