From: Clifford Lynch <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: Catching up on some important reading from the UK
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 17:36:15 -0500
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
My apologies: I have gotten very backlogged in sharing some of the interesting new reports with the CNI community, and I want to catch up on a few from the UK here.

First, Unique and Distinctive Collections: Opportunities for Research LIbraries, developed by the Research Libraries UK (at http://www.rluk.ac.uk/news/rlukudcreport/ ) looks at the special collections landscape in the UK and Ireland, with considerable focus on the ways in which digital technologies are changing the picture. This picks up on many of the themes discussed at the ARL/CNI 2009 Fall Forum on the Future of Special Collections (some talks summarized from that are available in http://publications.arl.org/rli267/ and also in recordings available through ARL's web site) and helps to show thinking has advanced over the past five years.

The second is a report issued through the Higher Education Funding Council looking at the very interesting question of what happens to monographs as Open Access continues to gain ground. This report can be found at http://www.hefce.ac.uk/pubs/rereports/year/2015/monographs/#d.en.99908 )

The third, and last, is a survey of policies surrounding learning analytics and student privacy issued by the JISC. This is described here

http://analytics.jiscinvolve.org/wp/2014/12/04/jisc-releases-report-on-ethical-and-legal-challenges-of-learning-analytics/

the actual report is at

http://repository.jisc.ac.uk/5661/1/Learning_Analytics_A-_Literature_Review.pdf

This is a very timely and interesting report, though of course it emphasizes the UK and European legal and policy frameworks around privacy; the situation in the US is a bit different. My thanks to Gary Price for pointing this one out to me.

Happy reading.

Clifford Lynch
DIrector, CNI