From: Clifford Lynch <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: Brewster Kahle Public Lectures At Berkeley March 2 and 3, 2016
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 15:30:01 -0500
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
Brewster Kahle Public Lectures At Berkeley March 2 and 3,
For CNI-announce readers in the Bay Area, Brewster Kahle will be giving two featured lectures next week. These should be fabulous. I don't know whether these will be streamed.

Right to Remember

Brewster Kahle, Founder of the Internet Archive

Regents Lecture

March 2
7:30 - 9:00 PM
310 Banatao Auitorium, Sutardja Dai Hall, UC Berkeley

Brewster Kahle is the founder of the Internet Archive, a non-profit digital library that preserves and provides free access to cultural artifacts. Through the Internet Archive, Kahle has spearheaded efforts to "copy" audio, visual, and book collections, as well as the internet itself, creating a repository of human existence. The Internet Archive is now one of the largest libraries in the world, preserving 20 petabytes of data, and working with more than 400 library and university partners, including the Smithsonian and the Library of Congress.
As cultural materials are increasingly erased and eroded over time, the Internet Archive champions our right to remember: to investigate and learn from past human experience.

More information at

http://bcnm.berkeley.edu/events/event/regents-lecture-brewster-kahle-digital-v-material-culture/

Library of the Future

March 3
4:30 - 5:30 PM
Morrison Library, UC Berkeley

Who is responsible for protecting our cultural memory? Who should pay to maintain these records? And how can we ensure that the artifacts we've preserved do not vanish into obscurity?

Join us as the new University Librarian Jeffrey MacKie-Mason investigates the role and future of the modern library with Brewster Kahle, founder of the Internet Archive. How should we preserve our legacy in the digital world for generations to come?

More information at

http://bcnm.berkeley.edu/events/event/library-of-the-future-a-conversation-with-jeffrey-mackie-mason-brewster-kahle/