From: Cliff Lynch <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: Dodging the Memory Hole: Saving Online News -- Scholarships & Registration
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 13:25:30 -0400
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
I wanted to share this announcement about scholarships for the the
upcoming October 13-14,2016 conference Dodging the Memory Hole: Saving
Online News that is being held at UCLA. My understanding is that
regular registration is still open as well. The conference web site is
at:

https://www.rjionline.org/dtmh2016

I had the opportunity to participate in  the first of this series of
meetings, and found it very helpful. I am planning to attend this one
as well, and look forward to seeing some CNI-announce readers there.

----------------------------

DTMH 2016 at UCLA

Dodging the Memory Hole 2016: Saving Online News forum organizers today
announced a travel scholarship program for select graduate students to
attend the forum at the UCLA Library on Oct. 13 and 14. The travel
scholarship committee is especially interested in working with students
from underrepresented and underserved communities.

At the two day forum we will explore solutions to the most urgent
threat to cultural memory today - the loss of online news content.
Journalistic content published on websites and through social media
channels, is fragile and easily lost in a tsunami of digital content.
Join other professional journalists, librarians, archivists,
technologists and entrepreneurs in addressing the urgent need to save
the first rough draft of history in digital form.

The forum ― hosted by the Donald W. Reynolds Journalism Institute’s
Journalism Digital News Archive (JDNA), UCLA Library and the Educopia
Institute ― will feature thought leaders, stakeholders and digital
preservation practitioners who are passionate about preserving
born-digital news. Sessions will update attendees about existing
initiatives, examine critical issues and create a national agenda for
protecting online journalism.

A Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Program grant from the Institute of
Museum and Library Services will support these DTMH-IMLS scholarships,
which will be offered to students enrolled in graduate programs (e.g.,
library/information science, journalism, computer science or related
fields) in the U.S. A minimum of 10 students will be selected for the
awards. As part of their participation, recipients are expected to
complete short-term projects supporting the goals of the conference.