Mailing Lijst CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org Bericht #114435
From: Joan K. Lippincott <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: Digital Humanities + Data Journalism Symposium - U. Miami
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 11:45:00 -0400
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>

The University of Miami has put together a wide-ranging and compelling program for their symposium. Registration information below.
---Joan Lippincott, CNI
---------------------------
Next month (September 14-16), the University of Miami Libraries, School of Communication, Center for Computational Science, and College of Arts and Sciences will host the second annual Digital Humanities + Data Journalism Symposium (DH+DJ). This year we have an incredible line-up of speakers, including Deb Verhoeven, Alberto Cairo, Mona Chalabi, Thomas Padilla, Safiya Noble, and more.

As we get closer to the date of the conference, we want to highlight its potential for interdisciplinary conversations across traditional boundaries. Creating that potential with our speaker program has always been an important goal for us as the organizers. This year, we are also excited at the range of affiliations among our attendees, who are coming from private and public universities and university libraries, The World Bank, Bloomberg News, the Pew Research Center, Univision, and the Wall Street Journal. They include graduate students, writers, editors, designers, computer scientists, researchers, analysts, and developers.

We think that this mixture of speakers and attendees will lead to especially good conversations for librarians, academics, and digital humanists (or mixtures of all three!) who want to discuss practices outside of their home institution, or learn about the approaches, questions, and challenges that are driving work in other industries.

Registration is now open ($99 inclusive for the full conference) -- please join us! If you're curious about what the Symposium is like, check out this write-up of last year's DH+DJ  -- or feel free to email the organizers with questions at dhdj.info@miami.edu

Why a DH+DJ Symposium? Digital humanists and data journalists face common challenges, opportunities, and goals, such as how to communicate effectively with the public. They use similar software tools, programming languages, and techniques, and they can learn from each other. Join us for lectures and tutorials about shared data types, visualization methods, and data communication — including text visualization, network diagrams, maps, databases and data wrangling. In addition to the scheduled content, there will be opportunities for casual conversation and networking.

University of Miami
Newman Alumni Center
6200 San Amaro Dr
Coral Gables, FL 33146

September 14-16, 2017

Inschrijven (FEED) Inschrijven (DIGEST) Inschrijven (INDEX) Uitschrijven Mailen naar Listmaster