From: Joan K. Lippincott <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: Register for the LSC Webinars on Planning the Physical Environment for Learners
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 11:20:15 -0400
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
Many of you have commented to me how much you've benefited from the LSC webinars on learning spaces. Here is the announcement of the series through January. Note that I will be a panelist on the January 22 webinar.
Joan Lippincott, CNI
---------------------------

The 2017 - 2018 LSC Webinar Series begins October 16 and continues through January 22, 2017.

Themes for these webinars—FUTURE, PROCESS, USER & MAKING THE CASE—were established by examining and distilling conversations from the LSC Roundtables (Series I & II, 2016- 2017).

These roundtables were a strategy for exploring into the future of planning learning spaces. They were an opportunity for faculty and administrators to engage in open-ended discussions with design professionals about questions to drive planning of the physical environment for learning in colleges and universities. The upcoming Webinar Series continues these discussions with the broader community of stakeholders.

Webinars will be facilitated by a team of academics and design professionals who bring diverse experiences and expertise to these virtual conversation about the future of planning learning spaces. They will explore questions and issues of interest to campuses at all stages of the planning process and to design professionals with expertise in undergraduate learning spaces.

Registrants are urged to convene a “roundtable” during the webinar as a strategy to deepen local discussions about why space matters, now and into the future.  Registrants receive a copy of each webinar to facilitate such conversations and to use as a future reference. There is a discount for those for register for all webinars in the Fall 2017/Winter 2018 Series.

FUTURE—The Changing Context
October 16, 2017
3:30 – 5:00 p.m. EDT

AUDACIOUS QUESTIONS:

·                 How can an institution better serve the needs of its students – not just for improved learning but to also to close gaps between the academic environment and the professional world most students will enter upon graduation?
·                 How can we proactively plan for change?
·                 What difference will our planning make over the long-term at the institutional level?
·                 How can an institution better serve the needs of its students – not just for improved learning but to also to close gaps between the academic environment and the professional world most students will enter upon graduation?
·                 What do we know about the future? What do we not know? What do we need to know?

Facilitators:
·                 Meredith Bostwick-Lorenzo Eiroa, Associate Director – Skidmore, Owings and Merrill LLP
·                 James Haliburton, Lecturer, College of Architecture – Texas A&M University
·                 Philip D. Long, Chief Innovation Officer, Project 2021 and Associate Vice Provost for Learning Sciences – The University of Texas at Austin
·                 Parke Rhoads, Principal – Vantage Technology Consulting Group

What keeps me up at night is thinking about the need to get the planning “right” if the spaces are to be right, about how the ideal team of planners is precisely like the ideal team of learners—working toward a common language, ready and able to try on new ideas for size, open to the risks of critique, working on a problem that is personally meaningful and that has a future to it.  —Phil Long, 2011 LSC Colloquium

November 13, 2017
3:30 – 5:00 p.m. EST

AUDACIOUS QUESTIONS:

·                 What are the incentives for faculty to embrace new pedagogies as part of the process of planning new and/or repurposing spaces?
·                 Is the current planning process too linear at the expense of intuition which may produce space more innately regenerative?
·                 How do we prototype collaborative spaces to demonstrate our commitment to sustainability and to determine how our goals for interdisciplinary innovation can be addressed in the planning process?

Facilitators:
·                 Bennett Goldberg, Director of the Searle Center for Advancing Learning and Teaching – Northwestern University
·                 John Starr, Principal – Lord Aeck Sargent
·                 Jim Swartz, Dack Professor of Chemistry and Director of the Center for Science in the Liberal Arts – Grinnell College
·                 Tim Winstead, Principal – Hanbury

December 4, 2017
3:30 – 5:00 p.m. EST

AUDACIOUS QUESTIONS:

·                 How innovative can we be in designing a facility akin to today’s professional work environments so that students are prepared for the 21st century work-place?
·                 How is our planning influenced by research on how students from diverse backgrounds and career aspirations are motivated by the physical environment for learning?
·                 What would a college or university look like if it were designed by students? How do we see students as stakeholders in their experiences as learners?

Facilitators:
  • James Goblirsch, Principal – HGA Architects and Engineers
  • Felix Kronenberg, Associate Professor, Modern Languages and Literatures and Director, Language Learning Center – Rhodes College
  • David Reid, Principal – Gould Evans
  • Eliza Reilly, Executive Director – National Center for Science and Civic Engagement and Research Professor, Department of Technology and Society – Stony Brook University

January 22, 2018
3:30 – 5:00 p.m. EST

AUDACIOUS QUESTIONS:

·                 The concluding webinar in this series will discuss the arc from the setting of goals for the process of planning at the start to experiencing the new or repurposed spaces. The conversation will build on the previous webinars, exploring how to determine what difference the investment in planning made to how your students experience learning, how it influenced your institutional culture, how it enabled your community to embrace the future with confidence.

Facilitators:
  • Shirley Dugdale, Principal – Dugdale Strategy LLC
  • Representative from EYP Architecture & Engineering
  • Joan K. Lippincott, Associate Executive Director – Coalition for Networked Information
  • Representative from Shepley Bulfinch

cid:image013.png@01D3363E.0A6A5790

Cost per Webinar is $250 per institution. This includes access to a webinar recording after the event.
Special rate for the Fall/Winter series of 4 webinars is $750. To register, fill out this online registration form

Be in touch with any questions.
Jeanne