From: Cliff Lynch <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: California Digital Library Gets NSF grant for Actionable Data Management Plans
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2017 12:30:30 -0400
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
For some time a discussion of what are being called "actionable" Data
Management Plans (DMPs) has been taking place within the Research Data
Management community at venues like the International Data Curation
Conference and the Research Data Alliance (RDA).

Very recently, our colleagues at the California Digital Library( CDL)
received a 2-year National Science Foundation grant to develop support
for this vision. This work is very important strategically, if it can
be successfully implemented and widely adopted, as it holds the promise
to greatly streamline funder requirements and compliance checking, as
well as to help the research enterprise broadly to  automate an
important part of the research data management process.

As this project moves ahead, I look forward to sharing progress at CNI
meetings. Note that CDL is eager to collaborate with others working in
this area.

A little more detail from CDL is pasted below, plus additional
pointers.

Announcement: NSF grant - Making DMPs Actionable

California Digital Library (CDL) has been awarded a 2-year NSF EAGER
grant to support active, machine-actionable data management plans
(DMPs). The vision is to convert DMPs from a compliance exercise based
on static text documents into a key component of a networked research
data management ecosystem that not only facilitates, but improves the
research process for all stakeholders.

To achieve this, the DMP Tool team, which is part of CDL's University
of California Curation Center (UC3), will build on our existing
partnership with the Digital Curation Centre (http://www.dcc.ac.uk). We
also look forward to incorporating new collaborators and aligning our
work with wider community efforts to create a future world of
machine-actionable DMPs.

Follow the conversation @theDMPtool #ActiveDMPs and dmptool.org. You
can also join the active, machine-actionable DMP community (live or
remote participation) at the RDA plenary in Montreal
(https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-10th-plenary-joint-meeting-ig-active-data-management-plans%C2%A0ig-domain-repositories)
and Force11 meeting in Berlin (http://force2017.org) to contribute to
next steps.

Contact us (uc3@ucop.edu) to get involved!