From: Cliff Lynch cliff@cni.org <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: National Academies Study on NASA Open Source Policies
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2018 11:40:59 -0400
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
Over the past year I've had the opportunity to participate in the work
of a National Academies Committee advising NASA Earth and Space
Sciences on Open Source policies and strategies for their scientific
work. The report from this work was released a few days ago and can be
found at

https://www.nap.edu/catalog/25217/open-source-software-policy-options-for-nasa-earth-and-space-sciences

Participating in this work  was a fascinating experience, and a really
important counter-balance to the narratives that say open source is the
answer, and all related questions are simple. I think that this is an
excellent report that honestly represents the complexities that  we
will encounter as we move to open science.