From: Cliff Lynch cliff@cni.org <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: Call for Sustainability Support Applications for Open Science/Open Access Infrastructure
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 13:50:01 -0400
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
I wanted to share the following call for applications with the
CNI-announce community, which I know includes many non-profit
infrastructure providers for open science and open access that are
struggling with sustainability issues.

-----------------------------------

Dear Members of the Open Science Community,

A year into an important initiative to help shore up vital,
non-commercial services within the Open Science community; the Global
Sustainability Coalition for Open Science Services (SCOSS) is now
beginning our search for new potential candidates to help fund. If you
are a non-profit essential infrastructure for Open Access or Open
Science of international significance and are concerned about your
sustainability, this mail is for you.

SCOSS launched in late 2017 as a response to a growing concern over the
security of the infrastructure underpinning Open Science today. The
intent? To ensure that key services like the Directory of Open Access
Journals (DOAJ) and SHERPA/RoMEO, services that aid the scientific and
scholarly community in the accessing and sharing of research, have the
solvency to exist as well as innovate and evolve well into the future.

In short, this is how the initiative works: SCOSS provides the
framework and funding structure, vetting potential candidates based on
a defined set of criteria. The most eligible of those that pass the
vigorous evaluation are then presented to the global OA/OS community of
stakeholders with an appeal for monetary support in a
crowdfunding-style approach.

To date, more than 750 thousand Euros have been pledged to help fund
DOAJ and SHERPA/RoMEO, the first services selected in our pilot funding
call.

Weˇ¦re reaching out to you now as we are preparing to pre-screen
services for eligibility for SCOSSˇ¦s second funding cycle; perhaps you
are with a SCOSS relevant organisation, well-established but concerned
about your sustainability. At this point, the board is seeking to
identify a field of such potential candidates to vet; among the basic
qualifications: eligible services must have a non-profit status in the
country in which they are based and/or be affiliated with or owned by a
research or educational institution.

Services that are interested in seeking SCOSS funding are invited to
send us a pre-application as a formal expression of interest in
applying. The following information should be included:
ˇE Name of the person applying on behalf of the service/organisation
and contact details
ˇE Organisation name
ˇE Year the organisation was established
ˇE Legal status of the organisation (e.g. non-profit)
ˇE In short descriptive form, the organisationˇ¦s aim
ˇE A description of the organisationˇ¦s financial situation and how
SCOSS might be able to support efforts toward gaining sustainability
(500 words max)
To be considered, all pre-applications must be submitted at
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdsRiVAKvM85RIFvVqxVi0AOCgWpP8B-nvp5QojBfLiGUkp_A/viewform
by 31 October.
SCOSS will evaluate all submissions; those organisations that meet the
SCOSS aforementioned description while making a clear, strong case for
community support will be invited to apply formally in late 2018.

For all questions, please direct them to info@scoss.org