From: Diane Goldenberg-Hart diane@cni.org <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: Scholarly Communication Institute - request for proposals
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 11:23:10 -0500
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
The theme for this year’s Scholarly Communication Institute (SCI) will be Equity in Scholarly Communications. Proposals are now being accepted for the event, which will be held October 13-17, 2019, in Chapel Hill, NC. We are pleased to share the details below with the CNI community.

-Diane Goldenberg-Hart, CNI

The Triangle Scholarly Communication Institute https://trianglesci.org/ invites you to participate in SCI 2019 in October.

Each year, about 30 people are selected to participate based on successful responses to a request for proposals, and the Institute covers all of their expenses to attend a 4-day program in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, funded by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. At TriangleSCI, proposals are from teams rather than individuals, and we typically invite 5 teams with 4 to 6 participants each. We ask you to put together a working group that includes people who you may not otherwise have the opportunity to interact with, and to use this as an opportunity to launch new collaborations and projects. We especially encourage you to build a team with participants from a variety of backgrounds, disciplines, professions, and a broad diversity of perspectives.

This year’s theme is Equity in Scholarly Communications https://trianglesci.org/2019-institute/equity-in-scholarly-communications/.

The Institute is a program that’s part retreat, part seminar, and part unconference. Based on a theme that changes every year, participants set their own agenda and define their own deliverables - the Institute brings everybody together and supplies the environment and a network of peers to help stimulate and develop creative thinking, and provide a diversity of perspectives aimed at promoting positive change in research methods, publishing, digital humanities, digital archives, and other topics related to transformations in scholarly communication.

You can read more about SCI 2019 in this announcement https://trianglesci.org/2019/01/14/sci-2019-equity-in-scholarly-communications/ and also in the request for proposals https://trianglesci.org/2019-institute/rfp-2019/ and Frequently Asked Questions https://trianglesci.org/faq/ on the http://trianglesci.org web site.

Probably the best way to learn more about SCI is through the words of people who participated in the past - you can find these on the #TriangleSCI hashtag or @TriangleSCI https://twitter.com/TriangleSCI or in this podcast interview (with transcript) https://www.library.illinois.edu/scp/podcast/storytelling-and-the-triangle-sci-conference/ and links and photos from this post https://trianglesci.org/2018/11/02/sci-2018-has-concluded-join-us-in-2019/ with a wrap-up of last year’s Institute.

This year’s Institute will be held from October 13 through 17, 2019, in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA: https://trianglesci.org/venue-and-logistics/

The due date for proposals is April 24 - more information about how to submit a proposal is in the RFP: https://trianglesci.org/2019-institute/rfp-2019/