From: Cliff Lynch cliff@cni.org <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: 3rd Annual Digital Data in Biodiversity Conference, Yale, June 10-12, 2019
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 05:28:00 -0400
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
I wanted to share this conference announcement. I attended the first
two meetings, which I found very valuable; I cannot be at this one due
to other schedule conflicts.

--------------------------------------

Yale Peabody Museum in collaboration with iDigBio, the Natural Sciences
Collections Alliance, and Ecological Society of America is pleased to
update our announcement of the third annual Digital Data in
Biodiversity Research conference, to be held 10-12 June 2019 at Yale
University, New Haven, CT.

Registration is open:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/3rd-annual-digital-data-conference-methods-protocols-and-analytical-tools-for-specimen-based-tickets-54760252389.

The lodging options are also open. Please note that we are offering
economy lodging again this year:
https://www.idigbio.org/wiki/index.php/Yale_Digital_Data_Lodging_information.

Abstracts may be submitted for workshops as well as oral and poster
presentations and discussion sessions (you will receive an abstract
link in your registration confirmation letter).
Deadlines:
For workshop proposals: 23 March 2019;
For those submitting an oral presentation or poster abstract: 30 April
2019;
General registration: 17 May 2019.
New this year will be the opportunity to submit abstracts for half or
full-day workshops and symposia to be held on Wednesday the 12thThose
submitting workshop or symposium abstracts must register prior to 23
March. Those submitting discussion, oral, or poster presentation
abstracts must register prior to 30 April.
The conference wiki, which includes the agenda, is under construction
but available at:
https://www.idigbio.org/wiki/index.php/3rd_Annual_Digital_Data_Conference,_Yale.
It will be continuously updated, so keep an eye on it.

More conference info (including a list of keynote and plenary speakers)
is available at:
https://www.idigbio.org/content/save-date-methods-protocols-and-analytical-tools-specimen-based-research-biological-sciences.

Themes for oral presentations and posters might include:
published or publishable biodiversity research using digitized specimen
data,
methods and protocols for enhancing discovery with digitized specimen
data,
systematics and the use of digital specimen data,
ongoing research projects that utilize digital data,
gaps and deficiencies in currently available digital data that hinder
effective use,
user critiques of digital data, aggregators, and data providers,
pipelines that integrate digitization, data use, and research,
standards and practices for depositing and documenting open access
digital datasets,
the role and relevance of ´Big Data¡ in biodiversity research,
use of digitized biodiversity specimen data within ecological research
and practice,
conservation use of digital specimen data,
the relative importance of vouchers vs. observations as digital data,
managing digital biodiversity specimen data in support of research
pipelines,
analyzing and visualizing specimen-based and related digital data.

The planning team for the 2019 conference includes Tim White, Patrick
Sweeney, Larry Gall, Susan Butts, Michael Donoghue, Nelson Rios, Greg
Watkins-Colwell, and Michelle Duong from Yale; Jill Goodwin, Gil
Nelson, and Pam Soltis from iDigBio; Jill Parsons and Emily Mastrianni
from ESA; and John Bates and Rob Gropp from NSCA.

For further information or to ensure that you are on the conference
email list, please contact Jill Goodwin (jvgoodwin@fsu.edu) or Gil
Nelson (gnelson@floridmuseum.ufl.edu at iDigBio.

Gil Nelson PhD, Director
Integrated Digitized Biocollections (iDigBio)
Florida Museum of Natural History
University of Florida
gnelson@floridamuseum.ufl.edu

Courtesy Professor