From: Cliff Lynch cliff@cni.org <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: New Joint Initiative on Future of Research Libraries
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2019 11:53:01 -0400
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
I'm pleased to be able to share this announcement about a new
initiative that CNI has embarked upon jointly with  our partners at the
Association of Research Libraries and EDUCAUSE; I've spent a good deal
of time planning this effort with my colleagues in those organizations
over the past month and it's wonderful to see it launched! I think that
the first phase -- identifying key landscape-changing technologies --
will be of great interest to the CNI community and I hope to be able to
update progress on that via this list, and at our December 2019 and
Spring 2020 Member meetings. Below is the full announcement about the
initiative and its objectives.

The Association of Research Libraries (ARL), the Coalition for
Networked Information (CNI), and EDUCAUSE are working together to
better understand how research libraries, as collaborative partners in
the research and learning enterprise, can best advance research and
learning during these times of significant changes in the production,
dissemination, and reuse of digital content.
The three partner organizations are focused on understanding how such
technologies and emerging disciplines as data science, artificial
intelligence, mobility and ubiquitous networking, cloud and ambient
computing, augmented/virtual reality, and the internet of things are¡X
and are not¡Xfundamentally transforming the way research and learning
occur. More specifically, the partners will focus on understanding the
role research libraries are playing and need to play in this dynamic
context.
This project is organized in three phases over 18 months. It will
engage experts, leaders and community members from research libraries,
information technology, higher education, the research enterprise, and
the three organizations. The project will develop a set of
recommendations and possible actions for key stakeholders, the broader
community, and the partner organizations to consider in response to
findings related to the following questions:
¡E Based on technologies considered most critical in research and
learning, what knowledge and competencies do research library leaders
and staff need?
¡E What can research libraries do now to advance their knowledge and
practice in these technologies given their current and potential impact
on research and learning?  What support is needed to do so?
¡E How should research libraries remain strategically aligned with and
capable of adopting digital innovations as collaborative partners in
advancing research and learning?
As a result of the recommendations, we will seek to create pathways
that position research libraries to positively impact the research
enterprise under dynamic digital conditions that continue to
dramatically change our world.