From: Cliff Lynch cliff@cni.org <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: Emerging Technologies and Research Libraries: First Outputs Available
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 23:19:43 -0400
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
Late last year, we announced a joint ARL/CNI/EDUCAUSE effort to identify the emerging technologies that we believed would have the highest impact on research libraries, either directly or because of their ability to reshape the research enterprise or teaching and learning and consequently the work of research libraries, and to explore the strategies that research libraries might take to engage these. This has been a strange process in some ways; between the time the project was launched and today, the world has changed drastically, and in some cases the higher education community has been forced to very rapidly embrace these emerging technologies in profound ways, though perhaps it remains to be seen whether this is a short-term or permanent phenomenon. There's an extraordinary amount to explore and try to understand here.

In any event, along with my colleagues at ARL and EDUCAUSE, I'm delighted to share the first outputs from this work. I hope they will be helpful. Please see our joint statement, along with pointers to these outputs and some discussion of what comes next, here:

https://www.arl.org/news/arl-cni-educause-release-reports-on-research-library-engagement-with-emerging-technologies-in-research-and-learning/

Please be well and be safe.  I look forward to engaging with many of you as part of the CNI Spring 2020 Virtual Meeting, which launches next week.