From: Joan K. Lippincott joan@cni.org <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: Spotlighting Spaces That Anticipate the Future: Stories and Snapshots From the LSC Community
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 18:11:55 -0500
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
There are several new resources from the Learning Spaces Collaboratory: the links (see below) in the Spaces that Anticipate the Future series focus on two projects that highlight inclusivity and creating community. The second is a fascinating discussion around "the importance of the affective interactions with spaces on campus and how they shape learning.”

Both of these topics reflect discussions that have been taking place online, led by Jeanne Narum of the Learning Spaces Collaboratory; I have learned much from participating in these conversations and I’ll continue to share the products of them as they emerge.

—Joan Lippincott, Associate Executive Director Emerita, CNI

Greetings:

** Spaces that Anticipate the Future

Introducing an LSC series on spaces that anticipate the future. Through snapshots and stories we illustrate the arc between questions asked in the process of planning spaces for learning and the resulting spaces. Snapshots.

We begin with two stories (from FGM Architects and Perkins&Will) about how students experience spaces, about the profound impact the power of design has on the experience of learning.

- An LSC Conversation
From the 2021 LSC Virtual Roundtables, a conversation about topophilia, about the campus as an ecosystem, about how our physical spaces, once thought to be stolid and enduring, need to evolve to help us meet both the moment and the changing needs of higher education post-pandemic.

How have conversations between academics and architects changed as a result of planning in the time of COVID? We will be posing these and other questions to our larger LinkedIn community. Please join us in that conversation.

The LSC, as a community of architects and academics, has a rich archive of resources that capture and advance best practices in planning for assessing learning spaces. It is interesting to note if and how questions relating to diversity and inclusivity differ now—in 2021 from then—in 2016. What has changed?

Jeanne