From: Cliff Lynch cliff@cni.org <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: Announcing CNI Spring '21 Plenary Days Prelim. Schedule & Updating Breakout Sessions Schedule
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 10:25:30 -0500
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
CNI is taking advantage of the affordances of the virtual meeting environment to remain as flexible, responsive and timely as possible in delivering our Spring 2021 Membership Meeting. While we are still finalizing a few things, I wanted to share the schedule (below) as it is developing, though we may still add a few sessions and speakers. We are very grateful for your patience, and for your contributions to the meeting.

A preliminary list of the planned project briefings (both synchronous and asynchronous) is now available at https://www.cni.org/mm/spring-2021/project-briefings-breakout-sessions-s21; we will be posting the schedule for the synchronous breakouts in the coming days. We have changed the time blocks for these slightly from our earlier announcement. Synchronous (live) project briefings will now run 1:00-5:00 PM EDT on March 15-16, and 4:00-5:00 PM EDT on March 17-19 (replacing the originally planned moderated panels, which we will not be doing this meeting). Pre-recorded videos will be available “on-demand” by March 15 and throughout the meeting and you are free to watch them anytime, though we have left March 22-23 as unscheduled and that may be a good time for you to explore pre-recorded materials, if you wish. We won’t make the pre-recorded sessions available to the public until the meeting is over.

We will be adding details to the meeting website as they are finalized: https://www.cni.org/mm/spring-2021. Unless otherwise specifically indicated, everything is being recorded and will be subsequently publicly available.

I look forward to seeing many of you next month. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Schedule of CNI Plenary Days Sessions (All times Eastern)

March 24, 2021

  • Noon-1:00 PM
Welcome to Spring 2021 Member Meeting Plenary Days
Summary of the Spring 2021 Executive Roundtable “Post-Pandemic Strategic Planning Challenges and Approaches”
I’ll provide a preliminary summary and synthesis of what I heard at the Executive Roundtables during the preceding week, in advance of preparing the formal report.

  • 1:30-2:30 PM
Remote Access to Archives and the Sourcery Project
Dan Cohen, Northeastern University
Greg Colati, University of Connecticut
Barbara Rockenbach, Yale University
Tom Scheinfeldt, University of Connecticut
I’ll moderate this panel, which will try to summarize and extend some very fruitful and provocative conversations about the Sourcery project and the broader issue of remote access to archives and special collections. This has enormous implications for resource allocation and service design, and also for research continuity.

  • 3:00-4:00 PM
The Big Ten Academic Alliance BIG Collection and its Implications
Krisellen Maloney, Rutgers University
Joseph Salem, Michigan State University
Claire Stewart, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
John Wilkin, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Maurice York, Big Ten Academic Alliance
This panel will focus on prospective implications for the BIG collection, as it deals with electronic resource licensing and transformative agreements with publishers. I will serve as moderator.

March 25, 2021

  • 2:00-3:00 PM
Evolving Roles of Chief Information Security Officers (CISOs) and Chief Privacy Officers (CPOs) in the University Environment
Brian Kelly, EDUCAUSE
Kent Wada, University of California Los Angeles
Cheryl Washington, University of California Davis
This session, which I will also moderate, will deal with the evolving roles of CISOs and CPOs, and explore how these relate to the work of libraries, both in negotiating contracts with publishers that hold reader privacy in the balance, and also in the broader emerging role of libraries as privacy advocates and educators.

  • 3:30-4:30 PM
Kari L. Jordan, Executive Director, The Carpentries
I’m thrilled that Kari has agreed to join us to explore opportunities for the higher education community (and particularly IT and libraries) to collaborate with and support The Carpentries in expanding and democratizing new skills, most notably in the areas of computational tools, research data management, and data science, that are needed to support and conduct so much research today and in the future.

March 26, 2021

  • Noon-1:00 PM
CLIR Fellows Panel
Portia Hopkins, Rice University
Luling Huang, Carnegie Mellon University
Jennifer Ross, University of Toronto
Synatra Smith, Philadelphia Museum of Art
We heard about fascinating projects and we learned a tremendous amount about the concerns and challenges facing emerging leaders within our community when we hosted the first CLIR Fellows Panel at the fall meeting in December. I invite you to meet another cadre of CLIR Fellows as they describe their work and share their perspectives on the current landscape.

  • Time TBA; to immediately follow last session on March 26.
Meeting Close (10-15 minutes; not recorded)
Clifford Lynch, CNI
A quick summary of the spring meeting and a look ahead at CNI activities in the coming months.