From: Cliff Lynch cliff@cni.org <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: International Digital Curation Conference and RDA Plenary 17 (virtual) Registration open
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2021 11:15:46 -0500
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
I wanted to share this update on the 2021 International Digital Curation Conference (IDCC), which had been co-scheduled with the Research Data Alliance (RDA) 17th Plenary in Edinburgh, Scotland this April. The pandemic has required that these events be moved virtual, which has been a very complex process; thanks for your patience while all this has been sorted out. Registration is now open for both events, and I'll be giving my customary brief summary towards the end of the shortened IDCC meeting. I hope to "see" many of you at one or both of these meetings.

Registration is now open for two linked events in the world of data curation: the 16th International Digital Curation Conference (IDCC21) and the 17th Plenary of the Research Data Alliance, taking place during the week beginning Monday 19th April 2021. Registration for either event also allows you to attend a joint unconference which will bridge the interests of the two communities. All events will be taking place online only.
Details of each event and links for registration are below. The same platform will be used throughout, but separate registrations are required. We’re pleased to note that substantially reduced rates are available for both events for attendees from Low and Middle Income Countries (LMICs.)

IDCC21
IDCC is a leading international conference on digital curation and Research Data Management, regularly attracting over 250 delegates from all over the world. This year the programme will be compressed into a single day, containing a keynote and its familiar mix of papers, lightning talks and posters. As ever, IDCC’s organisation is led by the Digital Curation Centre (DCC) with support from the Coalition for Network Information (CNI.)
IDCC21’s theme is “Data quality and data limitations: working towards equality through data curation.” Our opening keynote lecture will be from Te Taka Keegan, Associate Professor in Computing, and Associate Dean Mãori at the University of Waikato.  The draft programme is available at www.dcc.ac.uk/events/idcc2021/programme ; it will be updated in the coming weeks, as the paper review process concludes.
The focus of IDCC21 is data quality and how it needs to be translated into formal criteria that can be applied to measure coverage, representativeness as well as inclusiveness of data. The key question that will be addressed by our speakers is how to ensure that data collection and curation works for society at large. Submissions also address a wide range of questions that will be of interest to anyone involved in the curation of digital material of all types.
To register, please go to www.dcc.ac.uk/events/idcc2021/registration . Early bird rates are available until 2nd April 2021!

The Unconference
Both IDCC and previous RDA plenaries have featured an unconference in previous years. On this occasion the two will combine to provide an event of interest to IDCC and RDA attendees. The Unconference will take place on Tuesday, 20 April. It will be an event for interactive and spontaneous discussion, based on topics suggested by participants.  Attendance is free for those registered to either (or both) events – join us for a rich discussion with a diverse audience!

RDA’s 17th Plenary Meeting (VP17)
RDA plenaries are focussed on progressing the work of its Interest and Working Groups and on providing opportunities for new communities of interest to examine the potential for new group formation through Birds of a Feather sessions. Plenary presentations set the larger scene for RDA’s work, give an insight into how group outputs are being adopted and used in research, and update members on the work of the organisation as a whole.
This year the DCC, along with UKRI and Jisc are hosting RDA’s 17th Plenary Meeting, taking place from 20th – 22nd April.  More information on the programme, speakers and theme of the Plenary can be found at https://www.rd-alliance.org/plenaries/rda-17th-plenary-meeting-edinburgh-virtual . You can register to attend the Plenary (including the joint RDA/IDCC Unconference) at https://rdavp17.eventbrite.co.uk . Early bird rates will be available until 2nd of April 2021.
If you are new to RDA, you might be interested in attending our upcoming webinar on RDA and Plenaries, taking place on 1st March 2021, 23:00 UTC. This webinar will feature an interactive session where attendees can share their goals and expectations from VP17, as well as a panel discussion with Rachel Bruce (UKRI), Hugh Shanahan (Royal Holloway, University of London), Helen Glaves (British Geological Survey) and Mervyn O'Luing (UCC), Robert Quick (Indiana University) and Frankie Stevens (AARNet).  Register for the webinar at: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_r9Pk6DVsQ2K4lAmf9D5TIw .

We look forward to you joining us virtually in Edinburgh in April at one or all of these key events in the calendar for all those who work with data in research.

Kevin Ashley,
Director, Digital Curation Centre
On behalf of the programme and organising committees of IDCC21 and RDA Plenary 17