From: Cliff Lynch cliff@cni.org <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: NITRD: supplement to President's budget and 30th Anniversary Celebration
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 14:00:00 -0500
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
The Networking and Information Technology Research and Development (NITRD) program was set up in 1991 as part of the High Performance Computing Act legislation and has been doing very important work ever since. This includes the National Coordination Office for federal high performance computing and communications efforts, which has been led by several members of the CNI community over the years, including Dr. Donald Lindberg (the founding director as a dual appointment during his tenure as National Library of Medicine Director), Sally Howe, George Strawn, and Chris Greer.

See www.nitrd.gov for much more information; I particularly invite you to note the breadth of the areas where NITRD is coordinating federal agency activities.  On the NCO, see https://www.nitrd.gov/about/#NITRD-NATIONAL-COORDINATION-OFFICE-NCO

A few days ago, NITRD celebrated its 30th anniversary with a very nice hour long webcast, which can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73-1CRqnzAI

Every year, NITRD publishes a supplement to the President's budget which summarizes investments in high performance computing and communication. This year, they've also included an additional document covering Cybersecurity R&D investments and implementation. See

The Networking & Information Technology Research & Development Program Supplement to the President¢s FY2022 Budget: https://www.nitrd.gov/pubs/FY2022-NITRD-NAIIO-Supplement.pdf

FY2022 Federal Cybersecurity R&D Strategic Plan Implementation Roadmap: https://www.nitrd.gov/pubs/FY2022-Cybersecurity-RD-Roadmap.pdf

Finally, I just want to share a note that NITRD included when announcing these materials.

"New this year, and in response to the National Artificial Intelligence Initiative Act (NAIIA) of 2020, this Supplement provides the status of R&D investments and activities in support of the NAIIA, including details of the National AI Research Institutes. The National AI Research Institutes, formed among multidimensional partnerships of public and private entities, address sector-specific or cross-cutting challenges (e.g., trustworthiness) and translate the research into products, applications, and services. "

I hope you find these materials helpful, and that they'll give the great work of NITRD a little more visibility in the CNI community.