From: Cliff Lynch <cliff@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: Video of Spring 2022 Opening Plenary Panel: The Privacy Landscape
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 11:40:47 -0400
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
The video of what I thought was an outstanding opening plenary panel from our recent in-person Spring 2022 Member meeting in San Diego, "The Privacy Landscape: Policy and Practice in the Library and University Contexts" , is now available. The panelists were Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe, Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; Kent Wada, Chief Privacy Officer at UCLA, and Cheryl Washington, Chief Information Security Officer at the University of California, Davis. I served as moderator. The video is available here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjpTfLsKNe4

During the session, Lisa Hinchliffe highlighted her work on the Mellon-funded Licensing Privacy project. The  project seeks to use the power of library licensing agreements to effect change in third-party platform practices in order to bring them into alignment with library values of privacy, confidentiality, and respect for user control over their own data. She mentioned several papers, which are available here (along with related webinar recordings and other materials):

Licensing Privacy: Views from Library Leadership [PDF],  A Report by Danielle  Cooper, Associate Director, Ithaka S+R, July 2021 (report http://publish.illinois.edu/licensingprivacy/files/2022/03/LP-VLL-Report-Final.pdf ; webinar recording: https://publish.illinois.edu/licensingprivacy/libraryleaders/)

Developing the Vendor Contract and Policy Rubric [PDF], LDH Consulting Services, January 2022 (report http://publish.illinois.edu/licensingprivacy/files/2022/03/Licensing-Privacy-Vendor-Rubric-White-Paper.pdf ;rubric, resources, and webinar recording: https://publish.illinois.edu/licensingprivacy/contracts/)