From: Cliff Lynch <cliff@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: Update on Project JASPER: the Keepers Registry and preserving OA journals
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 10:00:16 -0400
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
I wanted to share this useful update on Project JASPER, which brings together a number of partners to try to advance the preservation of open access journals (and particularly smaller scale, "diamond" open access journals. The work has its origins in studies by the wonderful Keepers Registry project that's now hosted at the International ISSN center in Paris, which has been trying to gather data on how well we are doing collectively on preserving periodicals and journals. Structurally, there's a particular problem with journals that are open access, particularly if they are small and/or precariously funded. A number of the participant Keepers organizations joined with the Registry to try to systematically address this problem. There's a great deal to be done here, and I know that JASPER would welcome the participation of interested CNI member institutions. See

https://blog.doaj.org/2022/06/01/project-jasper-the-story-so-far/

Full disclosure: I'm just completing a term on the Keepers Registry Technical Advisory Board.