From: Cliff Lynch <cliff@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: National Academies Report "Protecting US Technological Advantage"
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 14:18:00 -0400
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
Today I attended an excellent report release webinar at the US National Academies for their report "Protecting US Technological Advantage", which takes a very high level policy look at many of the issues that have surfaced in recent years about research security, research openness (particularly for basic research) and related matters. There's a lot of very interesting material in the report (I have not read the entire thing yet), including discussions of what it really means to operate in an open research environment. In some sense this could be viewed as a high level policy discussion complementing things like the recent OSTP directive on scholarly communication concerning federally funded research.

The webinar was recorded and I believe the recording will be available in the near future. The report is available now for free download. Here is a link to a more detailed description of the committee and its work, including a link to download the report:

https://www.nationalacademies.org/our-work/protecting-critical-technologies-for-national-security-in-an-era-of-openness-and-competition

Here's a direct link to the report at the National Academies Press

https://nap.nationalacademies.org/catalog/26647/protecting-us-technological-advantage