From: Cliff Lynch <cliff@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: NDSA CALL FOR INPUT: Digital Preservation Declaration of Shared Values Version 3
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 15:00:30 -0400
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
I wanted to be sure that the broader CNI community was aware of this effort by our partners at the National Digital Stewardship Alliance (NDSA) to update the Digital Preservation Declaration of Shared Values and had the opportunity to provide input. I think that this is a very valuable effort and was thrilled to be able to host the announcement of the initial release of the declaration at the Fall 2017 CNI meeting.

———

CALL FOR INPUT EXTENDED: Digital Preservation Declaration of Shared Values Version 3

Since its release at the fall 2017 Coalition for Networked Information (CNI) meeting, many people have engaged with the Digital Preservation Declaration of Shared Values (https://dpscollaborative.org). Community input resulted in the publication of Version 2 in 2019 on the Digital Preservation Services Collaborative’s (DPSC) website (https://dpscollaborative.org) and in its Github (https://github.com/dpscollaborative/sharedvalues) space. Once again, members of the DPSC, an informal affinity group of digital preservation organizations united in our commitment to preserve the cultural, intellectual, scientific, and academic record for current and future generations, has expanded and revised the document to be more comprehensive and explicit about its purpose and motivation.

We appreciate all the of the input we’ve received so far, and because we’ll also host an open panel discussion* on the expanded values at the DLF Forum in October, we have decided to keep the draft open a bit longer.

Please review and add your thoughts to the draft here:
Copy For Comments Digital Preservation Declaration of Shared Values v3

The comment period remains open until the end of November 2022. Please add your thoughts in the comments to contribute to the revision and publication of Version 3.

The Digital Preservation Services Collaborative is an informal and all volunteer gathering of mission-focused digital preservation service providers who are allied to strategize and advocate for effective and equitable digital preservation practice that aligns with good practice and guidance from expertise within cultural heritage fields. Its members come from Lyrasis, the Texas Digital Library consortium, Chronopolis, Academic Preservation Trust, Educopia, MetaArchive, and CLOCKSS communities. Several organizations have expressed a desire to get involved in this initiative. To help better manage collaboration, we created an Expression of Interest (EOI) Form: https://goo.gl/forms/EhpUUhxUFKROVLnF2. If you’re interested in getting involved please let us know via this form.

*For those of you who will be at DLF in Baltimore, please join the discussion on Wednesday, October 12th, from 9:15-10AM, “A Digital Preservation Reckoning: If we don’t lead with values, where do we end?”

Courtney C. Mumma, MAS/MLIS she/her(s) pronounce (https://namedrop.io/courtneymumma)
Deputy Director, Texas Digital Library

Twitter: @TxDigLibrary