From: Clifford Lynch <cliff@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: Roadmap for the Spring '23 CNI Meeting
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 10:31:30 -0400
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
Meeting Roadmap
A Guide to the Spring 2023
Coalition for Networked Information Membership Meeting

The Spring 2023 CNI Membership Meeting, to be held in Denver, CO, on April 3-4, offers a wide range of presentations that advance and report on CNI's programs, showcase projects underway at member institutions, and highlight important national and international developments. Here is the "roadmap" to the meeting, which includes both plenary events and an extensive series of breakout sessions focusing on current issues in digital information.

First, I want to call attention to some logistical matters that I hope will help avoid confusion. The meeting venue, the Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, is comprised of two buildings across the street from each other, and we recommend that you instruct drivers to drop you off at the hotel’s main drive, located at the corner of Court Plaza and 16th St. Mall, in order to gain direct access to the front desk, located in the Plaza Building. The CNI meeting will take place in the Tower Building; guest rooms may be in either building, and a second-floor sky bridge connects the two buildings.

It has been wonderful to see so many new faces (as well as familiar ones!) as we’ve returned to our in-person meeting format. On behalf of the entire CNI organization and community, I extend a warm welcome to all those joining us for the first time. On Monday, April 3, the CNI meeting proper will be preceded by an optional, first-time-attendee information session at 11:15 am, and I hope to meet many of you there.

Light refreshments will be available for all beginning at noon; the opening plenary is at 1:00 pm and will be followed by three rounds of parallel breakout sessions. The day’s presentations will end with a stand-alone, lightning round session—comprised of a series of brief presentations on new or ongoing projects or programs—immediately preceding our signature evening reception which will run until 7:30 pm, where we encourage you to follow up with lightning round presenters and connect with old and new colleagues. After the reception participants can enjoy a wide range of nearby dining options in Denver.

Tuesday, April 4, begins with something new this meeting: a small number of optional, lightly facilitated discussion roundtables on a focused topic over breakfast; rest assured there will still be ample space in the breakfast area for those who prefer unstructured meal and social opportunities. The breakfast discussion tables are intended to give attendees an opportunity to engage with each other on issues for which there is strong community interest; we expect the discussions to be relatively unstructured, the role of moderator to be fairly casual, and that participants will come and go. Check the meeting agenda for roundtable discussion topics and names of facilitators; tables will be designated by topic in the breakfast dining area. Please share your feedback with us about this pilot (and any other aspect of the event); after the meeting we’ll be asking about your views in the evaluation that we send out.

After breakfast, the main meeting resumes with additional rounds of parallel breakout sessions, a sit-down lunch (provided), and the closing plenary, concluding around 3:30 pm. Like last year, we include generous break time for informal networking with colleagues.

The schedule includes leisurely pacing with increased transition time between sessions, a modest number of parallel sessions, and professional recording of all sessions (unless otherwise requested by presenters) for subsequent public availability. Please continue to keep in mind that many of the project briefings that would have been part of the meeting pre-pandemic are now offered as part of our quarterly edition of video project briefings instead see https://www.cni.org/resources/pbvs for more about CNI’s Pre-Recorded Project Briefing Series).

Project briefing rounds will be 30, 45, or 60 minutes in duration. Note the final round on Tuesday is anomalous: there are two 60-minute sessions and a 30-minute session taking place in parallel (those attending the 30-minute session get an open half hour, or can join one of the 60-minute sessions in progress).

The CNI meeting program is subject to last-minute changes—don’t rule out a late-breaking addition to the line-up! You can find the most current information, including schedule details, on the event Sched (https://cnispring23membermtg.sched.com) or on our website; at the meeting, we’ll also have a few program hard copies, as well as a physical message board that will include any last-minute changes.

The Plenary Sessions

We have two wonderful plenary sessions lined up. Both are tied very closely to the ongoing programmatic interests of CNI and its members.

The opening session (Monday, April 3, 1:00 pm) will feature a panel of four CLIR Postdoctoral Fellows: two from the 2020 cohort (to update us since their last panel at CNI’s virtual spring 2021 meeting and to reflect on their experiences in the program), and two from the 2022 cohort, participating for the first time. CLIR Fellows work on projects that forge and strengthen connections among collections, educational and information technologies, and current research and scholarship, and they are a key source of future leaders. CNI has long maintained a close relationship with the program as part of our commitment to supporting emerging leaders in our community, and I’m really pleased to welcome back the fellows in person this year.

For the closing plenary (Tuesday, April 4, 2:15 pm), we’ve invited members of the American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) Commission on Fostering and Sustaining Diverse Digital Scholarship to share their views on the group’s work and preliminary findings, as the Commission approaches a summer 2023 report release and conclusion of the current phase of its work. The Commission was established to develop recommendations on improving support, access, and sustainability of digital resources and digital humanities projects related to social and racial justice. It has been convened by ACLS with funding from the Mellon Foundation and the National Endowment for the Humanities. This work has deep connections to many long-standing CNI concerns involving scholarly work in the digital age, digital preservation, and the complex technical and social infrastructure to support these activities.