From: Cliff Lynch <cliff@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: National Academies Workshop on AI and Scientific Discovery
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 09:00:32 -0500
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE>
On October 12-13 2023 the US National Academies hosted a fascinating workshop on the role of AI technologies in scientific discovery; I was fortunate to be able to catch some of the talks live-streamed and to attend the second day in person; I found the talks to be delightfully skeptical, provocative and very well informed, and offering some badly needed perspective on the opportunities that AI offer in scientific research. This is a very helpful contribution to our understanding of the prospects for AI to reshape the research enterprise.

The academies have now made comprehensive video from the workshop available at

https://www.nationalacademies.org/event/40455_10-2023_ai-for-scientific-discovery-a-workshop

The page also contains a link to the meeting agenda, which may be helpful in navigating the video recordings.