From: Clifford Lynch <cliff@cni.org>
Sender: <cgplmgr@cni.org>
Subject: UK Arts and Humanities Data Center Performing Arts Report
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 02:40:02 -0400
To: <CNI-ANNOUNCE@cni.org>
I wanted to share the availability of this report and opportunity for comment with CNI-announce readers. My apologies for any duplication.

-------------------------------

CALL FOR COMMENTS

For some ten years now, the Arts and Humanities Data Service has worked to
support the higher education community’s creation and use of digital
resources for teaching and research purposes as well as the preservation of
those resources. AHDS Performing Arts has recently completed a scoping
study – Getting to Know Our Audience – which examines what the UK Higher
Education community needs and expects from a Performing Arts data service
covering music, dance, theatre, film, television, radio, and live art, and
how opportunities for teaching and research can be created and enhanced by
the use of digital collections.

Daisy Abbott, the Services and Outreach Officer for AHDS Performing Arts has
spent the last six months collecting and analysing data and speaking in
detail with the Performing Arts community, alongside her co-author, Emma
Beer of the AHDS Executive.  They are immensely grateful to all those from
the community who both took the time to complete the survey instrument and
in some cases take part in interviews which richly informed the study.

The report identifies some fascinating conclusions about the nature of
research and teaching in the Performing and Broadcast Arts and demonstrates
the huge potential for further collaborations at the individual,
institutional, and funding levels in order to maximise the value of the high
quality digital materials produced as evidence of performances, processes,
and research.

AHDS Performing Arts would like to invite you to read this study and offer
your comments. Comments received by August 15th will be integrated into the
final printed document, however, comments after this date are also welcome.
You can view and comment on this study online at
http://www.hatii.arts.gla.ac.uk/ahds-pa/

To stay in touch with further developments at AHDS Performing Arts, please
subscribe to the mailing list: AHDS-PERFORMINGARTS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK.

Prof Seamus Ross
HATII University of Glasgow
&